Menu Close

Today, most children are involved in a sport or other recreational activity. However, extracurricular activities such as sports, tutoring, music lessons, and art classes, among others, may be complicated to manage when co-parenting. It’s important to come up with and stick to a co-parenting plan.

Former spouses have to decide:

• Who is responsible for paying;

• What days the child is able to attend the activity;

• Who will be responsible for taking them and picking them up; and

• Whether the former spouses can attend these events together or separately; among others.

It is important to keep the best interest of the children in mind when dealing with extracurricular activities with a former spouse. In order to have an effective co-parenting plan, former spouses must come to an agreement through the use of negotiation. It is important to keep these main points in mind when negotiating:

• Child’s interest level in the activity;

• Will the activity benefit his or her future;

• How the cost of the activity will be paid;

• Level of involvement and interest by the parent;

• Day and time of the activity;

• Who will drop off and pick up the child;

• Are both parents allowed to attend performances or games;

• Is extended family or significant others permitted to attend;

If you are in the process of getting divorced, it may be beneficial to incorporate these issues into a parenting plan to avoid having a separate agreement. It is also worth incorporating any extracurricular activities that may be off limits. It is important to remember that a parenting plan can be modified after a divorce. However, for those who are already divorced, it may be difficult to come to an agreement if a child is already involved in a specific activity. However, keep in mind that the children’s best interest comes first.

If you need to renegotiate a parenting plan in order to avoid conflict, contact an experienced family law attorney who can assist you with the process. Divorce and child custody disputes can be long and emotionally difficult. If you are involved in a dispute with your ex, contact an experienced family law attorney who can guide you through the process and make sure that your rights and your children are protected. The Law Office of Larry McCord and Associates is skilled and experienced in dealing with all aspects of family law matters. Call (631) 643-3084 for a consultation today.

Pin It on Pinterest

Skip to content