Menu Close

The violation of a child custody agreement is a serious issue that could lead to severe consequences. A child custody agreement is considered a court order. This means that violating the agreement is a violation of a court order. Additionally, violation of a custody agreement may have a significant impact on the well being of a child. It can lead to emotional distress and even anxiety.

The following are tips in order to address the situation with a former spouse:

Discuss the Situation
Try talking about the issue with your child’s parent in order to come to an arrangement that is beneficial for all parties. Calmly discuss the effects that their violation of the custody agreement is having on the child. Email may be the best method of communication.

Try Mediation
Mediation is a way that both parties may be able to come to a rational agreement due to discussing the issue of custody with a third party. A mediator will be able to help explain the facts and legal issues surrounding their violation of a custody agreement.

File for Contempt
If an individual is consistently violating a custody arrangement and chooses not to cooperate or discuss the issue, then it is imperative to file for contempt. At this point, the court system will get involved and you may present evidence that your child’s parent did not abide by the custody agreement and a change in custody arrangements may be made.

The lawyers at Larry McCord & Associates, LLC have experience representing spouses in all aspects of matrimonial and family law litigation. The complexities in divorce and custody cases can be overwhelming and emotional. Please contact Larry McCord and Associates, LLC at (631) 643-3084 to learn more about the firm’s services and approach to child support disputes.

Pin It on Pinterest

Skip to content